The original building that became Luminary United Methodist Church was a log structure serving as both a church and schoolhouse from the late 1800’s until 1907. The new church that was built in 1907 was approximately one mile north of our present location. The membership of the church fluctuated significantly over time as local and world events created changes in the community. The building of Watts Bar dam in 1942 flooded many acres of farmland causing relocation of some families to other areas. When young men in the area left to fight in World War II, the number of active members were greatly reduced. Boyde Woody, who was a member of our congregation since birth, often told the story of how his mother and three other women in the community kept the church going during the 1940’s. By the late 1960’s, the church built in 1907 was suffering from age. In 1971, the Luminary Church was torn to the floor and rebuilt. The small church served the community well but as new people from outside the local area began coming to the Ten Mile area attracted by the beauty of the lake and recreational activities, the Luminary Church membership increased dramatically. A bigger church was needed. In February 2002, property was purchased and through God’s grace and commitments from Luminary’s congregation, the present building was completed in 2003.